Nigeria’s new Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, has vowed that under his command, Boko Haram would either beg for a cease-fire or face the wrath of highly motivated and combat ready soldiers.
The Borno State-born Major General, who took over command of the nation’s army last week, said he was ready to lead soldiers to the dens and enclaves of the insurgents.
He has therefore re-christened the operational code of the counter insurgency efforts from “Operation Zaman Lafiya” to “Operation Zaman Lafiya Dole” – which in Hausa means ‘the quest for peace becomes a must’.
Buratai, who was in Yobe State to celebrate the Islamic Eid-el-fitri festival with Nigerian troops, moved to Borno on Sunday afternoon.
He arrived Maiduguri by road and was received by the Borno State Deputy Governor, Zannah Mustapha, who immediately accompanied the army boss to visit the 103 Battalion of the 7 Division, Maiduguri in Konduga Town where they hailed the troops gallantry.
“The ongoing activities of Boko Haram is assuming an alarming dimensions in Borno state and other parts of the north east,”
Buratai said. “We will not tolerate the killing of citizens and destruction of property; in as much as we urge you (troops) to adhere strictly to human rights abuses, the time to crush Hoko Haram and other criminal activities in this country is now or never.”